The SoCal climate is diverse & unique. Let's play in it!
SNOW • DESERT • OCEAN
All in the same day!
Because you can! The Southern California/Baja region is the only place on earth that has all three climates - Mountain, Desert, Ocean in such close proximity that we can play in all three in the SAME DAY.
How cool is that?
Complete your human-powered SoCal Trifecta between November 17, 2018 and March 17, 2019 to win some cool prizes! (see below)
The 2018 - 2019 A16 Trifecta Challenge has ended. Thank you to all who took the challenge!
All entries must be received no later than March 31, 2019.
For some ideas about activities in each climate, including where to look for snow, check out each of the climate sections below.
one of the non-profit organizations below:
OCEAN: [ ] Surfrider Foundation
MOUNTAINS: [ ] The Nature Conservancy
DESERT: [ ] Anza Borrego Foundation -or- [ ] Friends of Joshua Tree
GEAR DONATION: [ ] The A16 Donate-A-Pack Foundation – The Donate-A-Pack Foundation benefits at-risk, low income, or disabled youth in Southern California by enabling them to partake in an outdoor wilderness experience.
To Donate Outdoor Gear: Bring your gear donation to the nearest A16 location. You will receive a tax-deductible receipt.
1. REGISTER: Visit your nearest Adventure 16 Store Location to pay the to one of the non-profits listed above) and to pick up your 2018/2019 acket which includes a SoCal Trifecta Flag, Registration & Liability Form, and Discount Coupons. Registration is limited to 100 Registrants. You must register anew for each Trifecta Challenge that you do.
2. COMPLETE at least one of the listed human-powered outdoor activities in each of the Southern California environments – Snow, Desert, Ocean – in one 24-hour day between November 17, 2018 and March 17, 2019. (Human-powered activities includes use of bicycles, canoes, kayaks, sail boats, paddle boats, etc. NOT ALLOWED: Motorized quads and anything else using a motor are not allowed.)
3. PHOTOS: Take, or have someone take, at least two (2) time-stamped or geo-tagged photographs of you doing each of the three activities. One photo must be an action photo, and one must show the A16 Trifecta Flag. A combination photo is also acceptable if there is clear action! Hint: The more candid, unique and action-filled the photo, the better your chance of winning!
4. SUBMIT YOUR ENTRY:
Submit your Challenge Details and Photos using our on-line COMPLETION FORM.
All entries must be received within 14 days of completing the Challenge, but no later than March 31, 2019.
5. WIN: On April 2, 2019 we will pick 45 Finishers with the BEST ACTION PHOTOS in which to award the Icebreaker Tee ($70+). In addition, 1 male and 1 female Grand Prize winner will be awarded an Icebreaker garment of their choice – up to $250 value!
It's easier than it sounds, and more fun than it should be. Follow the rules, have fun, and get out there!
- All Finishers: $16 Adventure 16 Gift Card & a Commemorative Finisher Certificate
- First 100 Finishers: Darn Tough High Quality Merino Wool & Coolmax Socks of choice (up to a $25 value) Darn Tough socks are made in the USA for comfort and durability during activities such as hiking, running and enjoying the outdoors.
- First 100 Finishers: Collectible 2018/2019 A16 SoCal Trifecta Patch
- 45 finishers who submit the BEST ACTION photo will be awarded an Icebreaker Tee ($70+ value). Icebreaker garments offer the benefits of high performance merino wool -- naturally insulating, highly breathable, lightweight, odor resistant and soft against the skin – combined with exceptional styling and a flattering fit.
GRAND PRIZE: One (1) male & (1) female finisher with the "BEST of the BEST" ACTION PHOTO will be awarded (1) Icebreaker garment of choice (up to $250 value).
- Only one Icebreaker prize will be awarded per person.
- Action photos are judged on quality of composition, depiction of action and uniqueness.
QUALIFYING SNOW ACTIVITIES (Must choose from this list.)
• Snowball Fights
• Snow Camping
• Ice Climbing
MORE SNOW ACTIVITY RESOURCES
• Southern Californa Snow Report
• Southern California Snowfall Forecast
• California Resorts Snow Forecast “Predicting sick days since 1988”
• So Cal Snow Avalanche Center Weather Info
• A16's Winter Camping Checklist
• Palm Springs Aerial Tramway Winter Adventure Center
“A California ice climber’s most important piece of gear is a fast car.” – Dave Nettle
QUALIFYING OCEAN ACTIVITIES (Must Choose from this list.)
• Boogie Boarding
• Skim Boarding
• Body Surfing
• Scuba Diving
• Running/playing in the surf (must get wet)
MORE OCEAN ACTIVITY RESOURCES
• CA Beach Report Card
• The Wedge – A renowned skimboarding, surfing, boogie & body boarding spot located in Newport Beach, CA, at the east end of the Balboa Peninsula.
• Best Places to Get Scuba Diving Lessons in Los Angeles
• Scuba Diving in San Diego
Who do I contact for questions?
You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 619-283-2362 x115.
Is SoCal / Baja really the only place on earth where you can complete a Trifecta in 24 hours?
Yes! We researched extensively, but if we missed a place where you can ski, climb & surf all in one day, using normal methods of transportation (no jets or helicopters), please let us know (email@example.com).
Will my photos be made Public?
Yes, unless you specify otherwise. All information required (pictures, text, locations) must be submitted online via our on-line Completion Form. If you do not wish anyone else to see your entry, please indicate "No" on permission to publish.
May I do the A16 Trifecta Challenge more than once?
Yes, however, you must re-register for each challenge and you must do three completely different activities in three completely different places. Also, since prizes are limited, priority will be given to those completing the challenge for the first time.
Here is the Liability Release information, copied from the Release Form required to participate in this Challenge:
Hiking, backpacking and other wilderness activities, are potentially dangerous and unpredictable.
I agree to be responsible for my own welfare and accept/assume any and all risks and unanticipated events, which may occur on the Challenge. Adventure 16, Inc. does not own, lease, control or operate the public trails, streets, bridges, paths or topography encountered on this Challenge and does not warrant nor guarantee the user’s safety while on the Challenge.
I AGREE TO RELEASE AND WAIVE ALL CLAIMS, ACTIONS AND CAUSES OF ACTIONS which I might have against Adventure 16, Inc., its officers, directors, employee, sponsors and agents arising from physical, emotional or mental injury or death while participating in any parts of this Challenge resulting from the negligence, breach of warranty or strict liability of Adventure 16, Inc.