EVENT: Make-a-Wish Trailblaze Challenge San Diego--Info SessionsPosted by Adventure 16 | 01.09.2019
INFO SESSIONS for the Make-a-Wish Trailblaze Challenge—a one-day, 28-mile hike on the PCT the weekend of May 17 - May 19, 2019 and May 31- June 2, 2019
ATTEND AN INFO SESSION
A16 SAN DIEGO STORE
Monday, January 14: 6:30pm
Saturday, January 26
Tuesday, January 29: 6:30pm
Thursday, February 7: 6:30pm
WHAT IS THE TRAILBLAZE CHALLENGE?
Designed as a one-day endurance event, the Trailblaze Challenge gives participants the opportunity to hike 28 miles along the Pacific Crest Trail in California. In additional to hiking, participants will also raise much needed funds to grant the wishes of children in San Diego! This is a hike, not a race and caters to all levels from novice to advanced outdoor enthusiasts. For more information, visit: www.trailblazechallengesd.org
Hike Weekend 1: May 17-19, 2019 at Big Bear Lake
Hike Weekend 2: May 31-June 2, 2019 at Big Bear Lake
ABOUT THE PACIFIC CREST TRAIL
The Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) is a treasured pathway through some of the most outstanding scenic terrain in the United States. The famous hiking trail spans 2,650 miles (4,265 kilometers) from Mexico to Canada through California, Oregon, and Washington. It reveals the beauty of the desert, unfolds the glaciated expanses of the Sierra Nevada, travels deep forests, and provides commanding vistas of volcanic peaks in the Cascade Range. Trailblaze Challenge San Diego will cover the iconic PCT by way of the Cougar Crest Trail and will end at Onyx Summit. Wildlife sightings can be common, and hikers will love the challenge of this beautiful trail.
WHAT’S INCLUDED IN MY HIKE EXPERIENCE?
- Specialized training program including a workout calendar and weekly group hikes
- Training Clinics – topics include hiking boots, socks & other trail essentials, hydration, nutrition & cross training (when available)
- Support and coaching from experienced Trailblaze Hike Leaders and Make-A-Wish staff ?
- Hotel Accommodations on hike weekend at The Lodge at Big Bear Lake, a Holiday Inn Resort (3-days/2-nights)
- Trailblaze Challenge duo-dry shirt for hike weekend
- Transportation to and from the trail on Hike Day
- Friday night Pasta Party to carb load before the big day
- Trail support at multiple locations throughout your journey, including hydration, snacks, first aid and encouragement
- Saturday evening post-hike Celebration to share trail stories
- Sunday post-hike Victory Recognition Breakfast before heading home
IS THERE A FEE TO PARTICIPATE?
Each trailblazer will be asked to raise a minimum amount of funds to cover their expenses and to help Make-A-Wish continue its mission to grant the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions. A non-refundable $100 donation is required at the time of registration and will be credited toward your fundraising goal.
HOW WILL I REACH MY GOALS?
Make-A-Wish will support hike participants each step of the way by providing each participant with a personalized fundraising webpage, as well as sponsorship and fundraising materials, tips and advice. Each Trailblazer will be provided with a specialized training program and will be invited to attend weekly group training sessions and informal meet-ups. About Make-A-Wish®
WANT TO LEARN MORE? ATTEND A NO-OBLIGATION INFO SESSION:
Make-A-Wish ® grants the wishes of children with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength and joy. It is the largest wish-granting charity in the world, with 62 chapters in the United States and its territories and 27 international affiliates on five continents. Make-AWish® San Diego serves San Diego and Imperial Counties. The organization has granted more than 3,500 wishes since its inception in 1983 and has never turned down a wish for an eligible child.
In 2017, Make-A-Wish San Diego hopes to grant the wishes of 230 children; however, there are over 300 children in our community each year that are medically eligible to qualify for a wish. At an average cost of $8,500 per wish, we need help to make each one a reality.
The Impact of a Wish
A wish come true empowers children to fight harder against their illnesses. When they are granted a wish, they get more than just a great experience for a day, two days or a week. That experience improves the quality of life for them and their entire family. For their medical team, the experience works in unison with medicine to make their patients feel better, emotionally and physically. ?
- A combined 89 percent of nurses, doctors, social workers and child life specialists surveyed say they believe that the wish experience can influence wish kids’ physical health.
- 74 percent of wish parents observed that the wish experience marked a turning point in their own children’s response to treatment.
- 99 percent of parents and reported that the wish experience gave their children increased feelings of happiness.
- 96 percent of parents said the wish experience strengthened their families.
- 85 percent of parents observed a decrease in their children’s anxieties or fears.
- 91 percent of parents and 75 percent of health professionals observed that the wish experience decreased their children’s depression or sadness.
- 97 percent of wish families and 96 percent of health professionals observe increases in wish kids’ emotional health