It's CAMPtober!Posted by /blog/it-s-camptober | 10.18.2017
October is one of the best months to camp in Southern California. The mountains are showing off their gorgeous fall colors, while the cooler desert temperatures set the stage for epic daytime adventures. But the best part? The crowds have thinned out and the nights are cold enough for a toasty campfire under the stars....
Listed below are 23 of our favorite SoCal car camping spots for Fall. See you out there!
A16 West LA & A16 Tarzana Store Favorites
Buckhorn Campground Site #9 Charlotte A.
- Buckhorn Campground -- San Gabriel Mountains, Angeles National Forest
"Towering Pines and cedars provide beauty and shade with access to top-notch hiking" ~ Tim, West LA Store
- Camp Williams Resort -- San Gabriel Mountains, near Azusa
“Close drive from SFV. All campsites are along the San Gabriel River East Fork. Easy hikes and you can bungee jump off the Bridge to Nowhere.” ~ Melissa, Tarzana Store
- Lake Casitas Campground -- Lake Casitas Recreation Area, Ventura County
“A beautiful lake with things like kayaking, fishing and even Frisbee golf to keep you entertained!” ~ Christy, West LA Store
- Malibu Creek Campground -- Malibu Creek State Park, Santa Monica Mountains
“Although Malibu creek is not close to the beach, this campground has a lot to offer with its beautiful hikes and lots of climbing and scrambling around the creek." ~ Christy, West LA Store
- Manker Flats Campground -- Mt. Baldy, Angeles National Forest
“Conveniently located near the Mt. Baldy trail head and Falls in a pretty pine forest setting, Manker Flats Campground serves as a great hiking basecamp.” ~ Tim, West LA Store
"Amazing views from the top looking down on Ventura and the ocean. Lots of good bouldering nearby." ~ James, Tarzana Store
- Wheeler Gorge Campground -- Los Padres National Forest, near Ojai
“Beautiful trees and views hiking on the Matilija Creek Trail. Ojai is a cool town!” ~ Melissa, Tarzana Store
- Big Sycamore Canyon Campground -- Pt. Mugu State Park
“A premier spot to see fall colors with nearby access to beach and hiking trails.” ~ Christy, West LA Store
Leo Carrillo Campground Jeffrey P.
- Leo Carrillo State Beach Campground -- Leo Carrillo State Beach, Malibu
“Beach camping. Need I say more? You won’t need the waves on a white noise app to lull you to sleep. Lots of scenic hiking trails.” ~ Melissa, Tarzana Store
Indian Cove Campground NPS / Hannah Schwalbe
- Indian Cove Campground -- Joshua Tree National Park
“Great camping hidden in the boulders away from busier campgrounds. Awesome climbing nearby.” ~ James, Tarzana Store
A16 San Diego & A16 Solana Beach Store Favorites
- Burnt Rancheria Campground -- Mt. Laguna, Cleveland National Forest
“Easy to get to from San Diego, with hot showers and nearby hiking on the PCT.” ~ Katelynn, San Diego Store
CRSP Green Valley Area Campground TentTalk
- Chambers Park Campground -- Lake Cuyamaca, Cuyamaca Rancho State Park
“Pretty scenery, easy access to fishing, hiking.” ~ James, MIS
- Cuyamaca Rancho State Park -- Green Valley Area
“Pretty setting, near stream and falls.” ~ James, MIS
- Doane Valley Campground -- Palomar Mountain State Park
“Shady campsites, good access to hiking trails and the Observatory.” ~ James, MIS
- Dos Picos Campground -- Dos Picos County Park, Ramona
“A hop, skip and a jump from town, yet you feel miles away. You’ll be camping in a beautiful Oak grove." ~ John D., A16 President
Laguna Campground Doris W.
- Laguna Campground -- Cleveland National Forest
“Shady forest with tons of hiking nearby.” ~ James, MIS?
- William Heise Campground -- William Heise County Park, Julian
“Beautifully laid out tent camping sites and plenty of room to room. A great place to take bike and just a short drive to Julian to get some apple pie for dessert.” ~ John D., A16 President
San Eligo State Beach Campground San Diego Beaches & Adventures
“Great views right on the bluffs of the ocean.” ~ Lindsey, Solana Beach Store,
“A rare urban camping opportunity. Take advantage of the taco shop in the campground. Don’t forget your ear plugs if you want a good night sleep.” ~ John D., A16 President
- San Mateo Campground -- San Onofre State Beach
“Next to a world-class surf break.” ~ Jay, Designer
“Primitive camping featuring abundant plant and animal life, amazing geologic formations, Big Horn sheep sightings, brilliant nighttime stars and great hiking and caving opportunities.” ~ Kaitlynn, San Diego Store
Borrego Palm Canyon Campground Kristin W.
“Access to easy 3-mile hike to a real desert oasis, including waterfall and Bighorn Sheep, if you are lucky.” ~ Sandy, VP Accounting
“Really nice off-the-radar car camping.” ~ Lyndsey, Solana Beach Store
- White Tank Campground -- Joshua Tree National Park
"Lots of hiking trails nearby and tons of rocks to climb. The scenery at JTNP is unlike anywhere else since the trees are unique to that area." ~ Amy, Solana Beach Store
White Tank Campground, Joshua Tree National Park
This interactive map features A16'ers favorite camp spots mentioned in this article. Click on each tent icon for details about the campsite.
Stay updated on the newest outdoor gear, sales and events