EVENT: Wilderness Survival Clinic--FREE!Posted by Adventure 16 | 12.14.2016
Skills & equipment every hiker/backpacker needs to survive an un-planned stay in the wilderness.
• Survival situations -- How people get into survival situations / How to avoid survival situations
• Priorities of Survival -- If you wind up in a survival situation, what should you do and in what order
• Survival Kit Equipment -- What you should carry and how to use the items you carry (based on modern equipment).
• The 10 Essentials -- How the 10 essentials (while important) differ from a survival kit
• Primitive Skills -- Take your survival knowledge to the next level if you desire
HAPPY HALF-HOUR 6:30; PRESENTATION: 7PM
ABOUT THE PRESENTER: KEITH FARRAR OF THE WILDERNESS SKILLS SCHOOL
It’s been well over 25 years since I first walked into the Adventure 16 store in Tarzana. The store manager, Kevin Lee, and his staff, as well as a few classes A16 provided, helped me learn outdoor basics long before information (some actually correct) could be found on the internet.
Wilderness survival seemed to be on everyone’s radar and some of the teaching began to go that direction. About 5 years ago, I put together a series of classes for the Scouts that focused strictly on Wilderness Survival using items that could be purchased at your local outfitters. Even though I continued to practice and teach primitive skills, I found teaching survival based on modern equipment much more practical for the average hiker, backpacker and Scout.
Finding a way to introduce children to nature became very important to me. I currently volunteer my time taking school children on nature walks for several different agencies such as California State Parks and National Park Service. I consider myself very lucky to have been mentored by and able to assist some amazing outdoor educators and even luckier to be able to “give back” some of my experiences and knowledge to the kids on my nature walks as well as those taking my classes.